Capt. Roger Mallory (c1630-1695), of royal descent, was an early settler of Virginia. He was granted 2,314 acres in King & Queen County in 1660. He became one of the wealthiest men the Virginia Colony when he later inherited the estate of his uncle Rev. Philip Mallory. Still later, he acquired another 4,814 acres in the colony.
Of this family, John Mallory (c1793-bef 1870) seems to have been a close relative, perhaps brother, of Valentine Mallory, of Bourbon County, Kentucky. He was also a close relative, perhaps nephew, of George Mallory, sometime Master Armorer at the federal armory at Harpers Ferry. John Mallory moved to Harrison County, Kentucky, to Vigo County, Ohio, then about 1833 to Champaign County, Illinois with his Brownfield in-laws. He served as Justice of the Peace. His wife died and in 1842 he married the widow Angeline (Hildreth) Howe. (Her first husband, Dr. George Howe, was killed in the Black Hawk War in 1832.) In 1860 John Mallory was living in Dallas County, Iowa. He died some time after that date.
John’s daughter Elizabeth Mallory (1846-1909) returned to Illinois, and married John Wilson.
Coat of Arms
Or a lion rampant Gules collared Argent. Crest: A nag’s head couped Gules. (Sir William Mallory, of Studley, Yorkshire, knighted at Oxford, 1642)
1. Richard Mallory (c1092-bef 1190), Lord of Walton, Bredon, Swynford and Nun Eaten.
2. Geoffrey Mallory (c1117-1189), Lord of Kirkby Mallory, Walton and Botley.
3. Sir Anketil Mallory (c1142-1187), Lord of Kirkby Mallory and Tachebrook, and Governor of Leicester Castle.
4. Henry Mallory (c1167-aft 1198), Lord of Kirkby Malory, Walton and Tachebrook. He married Isec.
5. Sir William Mallory (c1192-?), Lord of Kirkby Mallory and Tachebrook.
6. Sir Richard Mallory (c1217-?), Lord of Kirkby Mallory, Botley, Walton, Swinford and Bredon.
7. Sir William Mallory (c1247-?), Lord of Walton and Tachebrook.
8. Sir Thomas Mallory (?-1317). He married a daughter of Eudo La Zouche of Haryngworth, and Millicent de Cantelou.
9. Sir Christopher Mallory (c1315-c1378), Lord of Hutton Conyers. He married Joan Conyers (c1317-?), daughter of Sir Robert Conyers.
10. Sir William Mallory (?-1412), Lord of Hutton Conyers. He married Katherine Nunwich, daughter of Sir Ralph Nunwich.
11. William Mallory (bef 1398-?), Lord of Hutton Conyers. He married Joan de Plumpton (c1385-?), daughter of Sir William and Alice (de Gisburn) de Plumpton.
12. Sir Chrisopher Mallory (?-1427). He married Isabel (?).
13. Sir William Mallory (c1405-1475), Lord of Hutton Conyers and Studley. He married Dionysia Tempest (c1408-1452), daughter of Sir William and Alianore (de Washington) de Tempest.
14. Sir John Mallory (?-1475). He married Elizabeth Curwen, daughter of Sir William Curwen.
15. Sir William Mallory (c1455-1498). He married Joan Constable (c1458-?), daughter of John and Lora (FitzHugh) Constable.
16. Sir John Mallory (1473-1527), Lord of Studley Hutton. He married Margaret Thwaytes (c1478-1401), daughter of Edmund and Joan (?) Thwaytes.
17. Sir William Mallory (c1498-1547), Lord of Studley Conyers. He married Jane Conyers alias Norton (c1503-?), daughter of John and Margaret (Warde) Conyers alias Norton.
18. Sir William Mallory (c1525-1602), Lord of Studley Conyers, Master of the Mint in York, High Steward of Rippon (1570), Member of Parliament for Yorkshire (1585), and High Sheriff of York (1592). He married Ursula Gale (c1529-bef 1604), daughter of Geoge and Mary (Lord) Gale.
19. Rev. Thomas Mallory (c1566-1644), Dean of Chester Cathedral. He married Elizabeth Vaughn (c1570-1661), daughter of Richard and NN. (Griffin) Vaughn.
20. Rev. Thomas Mallory (1605-1671), Dean of Chester Cathedral. He married Jane (?) (c1610-1638).
21. Capt. Roger Mallory (c1630-1695), Planter in King & Queen County, Virginia. He married Jane (?) (c1636-?).
22. Roger Mallory (c1680-?), Planter in King William County, Virginia. He married Mary Holderly (c1686-?).
23. Roger Mallory (c1700-1743), Planter in Orange County, Virginia. He married Sarah Street (c1718-bef 1755).
24. Roger Mallory (c1742-1822), Planter in Fayette County, Kentucky. He married Sarah (Smith?) (c1742-?).
25. John Mallory (1759-1849), Planter in Fayette County, Kentucky. He married Samantha (Allen?) (c1762-bef 1785).
26. John T. Mallory (c1793-bef 1880, Farmer in Dallas County, Iowa. He married Angeline Hildreth (1806-1860).
27. Elizabeth Ann Mallory (1846-1909), married John C. Wilson (1832-1883).